This module will assist you in updating your laboratory and hospital IT systems to accommodate the use of INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets.
When considering the scope of the IT changes required to effectively use INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets in your hospital, it is appropriate to segment the changes into 3 processes:
- Inventory and Dispensing related IT
- Transfusion related IT
- Billing and Reimbursement related IT
Inventory and Dispensing related IT
The Inventory and Dispense process is mainly covered by the blood bank or transfusion service information system. The two technical tasks involved are:
- Building the products in your system
- Adjusting your system to identify pathogen reduced platelets as acceptable for patients requiring irradiated products, and as approved by your medical director or current transfusion policy as an alternative to CMV seronegative or CMV-Safe
Transfusion Related IT
Key considerations include:
- Updating your Hospital IT system and/or bedside scanning systems (i.e. BPAM) to accommodate the use of your INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets for transfusion
Billing and Reimbursement Related IT
Key considerations include:
- Updating your Billing IT system to allow for the accurate billing and reimbursement for INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets.
Many of onboarding steps can be done concurrently to shorten the implementation time frame. Upon completion of the implementation steps outlined in this module series, there is no further work to do for the use of INTERCEPT® platelets at your hospital.
We are here to help. The information reviewed in this module series is also available in our hospital implementation guide.
The Cerus Hospital Affairs team has experience with hundreds of hospitals in onboarding INTERCEPT® platelets. A member of this team is available to provide the support you need.
Once you have reviewed the implementation support materials in this module series and would like further assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help with any part of the INTERCEPT® onboarding process.
Houston "Buddy" Nguyen BSCLS, MT (ASCP), BIT
Director of Hospital Engagement and Education Cerus Corporation
Houston “Buddy” Nguyen is a Hospital Implementation Director at Cerus Corporation where he is focused on assisting hospitals with implementing INTERCEPT®, or pathogen-reduced, products. Buddy is a medical technologist with degrees in Clinical Laboratory Science from Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and in Information Technology.
Buddy has experience working in hospital clinical laboratories and spent more than 10 years in laboratory management before successfully implementing a Patient Blood Management (PBM) Program as a Transfusion Safety Officer (TSO) at Northwest Texas Healthcare System for three years.