Resources to proactively plan for implementation of pathogen reduced platelet components at your hospital
INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets will arrive from your blood supplier as transfusion ready. Upon completion of the implementation process steps outlined in these modules there is no further work, additional testing requirements, or irradiation required for the entire shelf life of INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets in your inventory.
This five-part learning series will guide you through the implementation steps for receiving, distributing, and billing for platelets treated with the INTERCEPT® Blood System Pathogen Reduction System. The learning modules include:
• Review the roles and responsibilities of the potential project team members at your facility
• Understand the full project overview for the implementation of INTERCEPT® platelets
• Review the unique benefits of pathogen reduced platelets and the recognition of pathogen reduction in FDA Guidance’s and AABB Standards
• Setting hospital policy on use of pathogen reduction as an alternative to irradiation, and as a CMV mitigation strategy
• Inventory strategy considerations for conversion to INTERCEPT® pathogen reduced platelets
• Ramp up considerations for conversion to INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets
• Key Blood Bank, Hospital and Billing IT steps, timelines and validation
• ISBT code build, Attribute build and/or error checking table
• Hospital EMR and bed side scanning considerations
• Billing and reimbursement for INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets
• Recommendations for the best practices in handling all types of platelet bags
• Recommendations on storage configurations, centrifugation, use of the pneumatic tube system, and shipping psoralen treated platelets outside your hospital
• Planning for your hospital staff education for INTERCEPT® or psoralen treated platelets
• Specialized resources for nursing, blood bank/lab and medical staff education
A Certificate of Completion is available to download at the end of each learning module.
We are here to help. The information reviewed in this module series is also available in our hospital implementation guide located on the Cerus Healthcare Professional website.
The Cerus Hospital Affairs team has experience with hundreds of hospitals in onboarding INTERCEPT® platelets. A member of this team is available to provide the support you need. Once you have reviewed the implementation support materials in this module series and would like further assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help with the INTERCEPT® onboarding process.